HypnoBirthing® the Mongan Method
What is Hypnosis?
Hypnosis is a naturally induced state of relaxed concentration – a state of mind and body in which we communicate suggestions to our subconscious mind. This part of our mind influences what we think, how we feel and the choices we make. It can actually control pain.
There is no magic to achieving success with self-hypnosis. Almost anyone who chooses to can reach deep relaxation and redirected focus.
When having your baby with HypnoBirthing®, what you will experience is similar to the daydreaming or focusing that occurs when you are engrossed in a book or starting at a fire. You will be conversant and in good spirits – totally relaxed, but fully in control. You will be aware of your body’s surges (contractions) but will be able to determine the extent to which you feel the surge. You will experience your birthing in an atmosphere of calm and relaxation, without fear and tension that cause pain. Your body’s natural anaesthesia (endorphins) will replace the stress hormones that cause pain.
HypnoBirthing® teaches you to release all prior programming about birth, how to trust your body and work with it, as well as how to free yourself of harmful emotions that lead to pain-causing fear and unyielding muscles.
HypnoBirthing® will teach you the art of using your own natural birthing instincts. With HypnoBirthing®, you will be aware and fully in control, but profoundly relaxed.
When it is time for your baby to be born, you will be fully awake and involved.
What you will learn
HypnoBirthing® is a comprehensive childbirth preparation course designed to prepare you fully and completely for the birth of your child. You will learn relaxation and self hypnosis techniques to eliminate the fear and tension that cause long labour and pain, replacing it with confidence, calm, and comfort. In addition to the self-hypnosis techniques described you will understand and appreciate the changes taking place in your body as your body moves through your birthing process. You will become familiar with common interventions and the alternatives, while gaining complete confidence in the birthing experience.
You will also learn:
- Other techniques to produce a shorter, more comfortable labour
- The creation and control of the body’s own natural anaesthesia
- The source of the myth that pain must accompany normal birthing
- Why women in other cultures have birthing almost entirely free of discomfort
- How the mother’s body is designed to work in neuro-muscular harmony with nature throughout labour
- Practice in deep relaxation during and between uterine surges
- The importance of prenatal and perinatal bonding
- The HypnoBirthing® Advantage eliminates the Fear-Tension-Pain Syndrome before, during and after birthing
- Eliminates or greatly reduces the need for chemical painkillers
- Shortens the first stage of labour by several hours
- Eliminates fatigue during labour, leaving mother fresh, awake and with energy for actual birthing
- Eliminates risk of hyperventilation from “shallow” breathing methods
- Promotes special bonding of mother, baby and birthing companion
- More rapid postnatal recovery
- Returns birthing to the beautiful, peaceful experience nature intended
- Creates a more integral role for the birthing companion.
“My dream is that every woman, everywhere, will know the joy of a safe, satisfying birth for both her baby and herself—one she’ll not need to forget.”
— Marie F. Mongan, 1999